Coffee will help you beat that morning slump, but not everyone can handle that caffeine spike, especially not when the 2pm crash comes around. And if you take your coffee with a lot of sugar, you might actually be counteracting the caffeine and making that inevitable crash even worse. Luckily, there’s plenty of other drinks that will give you an energy boost, while also keeping you well-hydrated. When you need a pick-me-up, try a tasty sip-me-up made with Primo water:
Just Brew It
Set the coffee pot aside and start brewing tea instead. Tea has enough caffeine to give you a quick boost when you need it, but it typically won’t leave you feeling jittery or make you crash later in the day. You can scale the amount of caffeine to your comfort level, depending on which variety of tea you enjoy. Black tea has the most caffeine, white tea has the least caffeine and green tea is right between the two. Besides caffeine, tea is packed with antioxidants and the amino acid L-theanine that helps keep you mentally alert while still relaxed.
Try brewing a hot cup of tea to wake you up in the morning, then sipping on iced tea with fresh or frozen fruit throughout the day to keep you energized.
Infuse It with Goodness
If you’d rather avoid the caffeine altogether, try infusing your water with these naturally energizing fruits and herbs:
- Lemons: Lemon is an excellent source of Vitamin C and contains trace amounts of potassium and B vitamins, all of which areimportant for preventing fatigue. Warm lemon water makes a great substitutionfor a morning cup of tea if you’re looking to lower your caffeine intake. Iced lemon water is also an easy drink to have on hand throughout the day.
- Strawberries: The natural sweetness of strawberries will give you a little kick, without throwing you into sugar overdrive. They help regulate blood sugar, so you won't have to worry about the midday crash that drinks with added sugar tend to cause.
- Blueberries: The most nutrient-dense berry, blueberries have tons of excellent health benefits, not least of which is improving your brain’s health and giving you long-lasting energy.
- Mint: Mint, especially peppermint, is known for boosting not just your energy levels, but also your mood, memory andalertness. Mint’s aroma alone can help wake you up, but adding a few sprigs to your infused water gives you a tasty, refreshing energy drink you can enjoy any time.
- Rosemary: Much like mint, rosemary helps increase energy, memory and alertness. In infused water, rosemary adds just a subtle flavor that highlights citrus flavors well.
Mix any combination of these ingredients together in cool Primo water and let it sit overnight for a healthy, fruity energy drink that’s ready for you in the morning. Or try one of our other infused water recipes.
Give Your Ice Some Encourage-Mint
For a quick fix that’s ready-to-go whenever, prepare mint ice cubes and keep a tray of them waiting in your freezer at all times. Mint ice cubes will add an energy boost to your regular glass of water, plus they’ll put a fun twist on any of your other favorite drinks, such as lemonade, iced tea or an evening cocktail.
Simply place a fresh mint leaf or two in each section of an ice cube tray, fill it with Primo water and then freeze. If you prefer, substitute mint with rosemary for the same energizing effects.
While all of the above solutions will help you stay awake, the best way to make your water as energy-boosting as possible is to drink it consistently throughout the day. Dehydration is one of the most common causes of mental and physical fatigue, so it’s important to keep water on hand at all times. If you find it hard to meet your hydration goals, try these 25 helpful ways to drink more water and consider getting a Primo water dispenser to help you stay hydrated and alert all day long!